Chopin waltz performance question
MeekSeeker
2012-05-31 18:02:15 UTC
I am searching for a recording or video, etc., of any pianist
performing a certain small part of Chopins' Grande Valse Brilliante
Opus 18, to my liking. I have listened to a few on various media,
and have only found 1 that performs it, again, to my liking.
The pianist is here:

And the part I'm referring to is at 3:26. It is a sort of flourish of
a chord that is so beautiful to these ears of mine.
Can anyone point me to another pianist who flourishes that chord
the same way? I listened to a few who attempt to, but don't succeed.
I am just a lover of classical music, so forgive me if I don't describe
my issue in more proper musical terms.
Meek Seeker
laraine
2012-06-03 05:15:52 UTC
The pianist is http://youtu.be/xXqfMj7xj5M
And the part I'm referring to is at 3:26. It is a sort of flourish of
a chord that is so beautiful to these ears of mine.
Can anyone point me to another pianist who flourishes that chord
the same way? I listened to a few who attempt to, but don't succeed.
I am just a lover of classical music, so forgive me if I don't describe
my issue in more proper musical terms.
Meek Seeker
He (Fiorentino) rolls each note of the chord in
both hands, one hand after the other. I haven't
heard anyone do it that way, but it sounds fine
to me...

Chopin just wrote it as solid chords, it looks
like, but it's done in all kinds of ways.

The left hand chord is a hard reach, so most
roll at least in that hand.

Right after that chord is a dramatic break in
the music, so whatever you do, you have to
make that moment work.

C.
MeekSeeker
2012-06-03 18:24:18 UTC
Post by laraine
Post by MeekSeeker
[...]
I wonder if there is a formal or informal musical term
"chord bloom/blooming", or to "bloom a chord"? That's
the way that comes to mind to describe what I'm talking
about. Like strumming a guitar chord. It's a beautiful
effect to my ears, and I wish pianists would bloom
chords a little more often in pieces written for piano. I
found another pianist that bloomed the aforementioned
chord(s?), on youtube. But to a lesser extent than did
Fiorentino. Valentina Lisitsa 'twas. My feeling is that
adding additional playing techniques to a piece adds
interest and admiration to a work, and believe Chopin
wrote the piece with that/those particular chord(s) to be
bloomed. Maybe someone can check the transcription.
MS
herman
2012-06-03 18:55:20 UTC
Post by MeekSeeker
believe Chopin
wrote the piece with that/those particular chord(s) to be
bloomed. Maybe someone can check the transcription.
MS
Laraine used one the standard terms: to "roll" a chord. Or "break".
The official term is arpeggio.

Why do you believe Chopin intended it this way? Just because you like
it that way?

There is a standard sign (a kind of vertical wave alongside the
stacked notes) for an arpeggiated chord.

If Chopin did not include the sign in Op. 18 it means he did not think
arpeggio was the only way.

Which is why most pianists do not break this chord.
Peter T. Daniels
2012-06-03 19:42:22 UTC
Post by herman
Post by MeekSeeker
believe Chopin
wrote the piece with that/those particular chord(s) to be
bloomed. Maybe someone can check the transcription.
MS
Laraine used one the standard terms: to "roll" a chord. Or "break".
The official term is arpeggio.
It means "harp-like."
Post by herman
Why do you believe Chopin intended it this way? Just because you like
it that way?
There is a standard sign (a kind of vertical wave alongside the
stacked notes) for an arpeggiated chord.
If Chopin did not include the sign in Op. 18 it means he did not think
arpeggio was the only way.
Which is why most pianists do not break this chord.
Maybe if he'd wanted to write a harp piece, he would've written a harp
piece.