So far, which is the best one?
SFX
2012-03-15 09:08:54 UTC
Hi music lovers,

I intend to buy a 4+ hours "Die Matthäus-Passion" (J S Bach). Which
recording you find is the best thus far? Richter's or Masaaki's? Or
others? I find it hard to make the choice, advice needed.

Thanks.

Blessings,
SF Xian
Terry
2012-03-21 13:39:11 UTC
Post by SFX
Hi music lovers,
I intend to buy a 4+ hours "Die Matthäus-Passion" (J S Bach). Which
recording you find is the best thus far? Richter's or Masaaki's? Or
others? I find it hard to make the choice, advice needed.
Thanks.
Blessings,
SF Xian
There are many beautiful recordings. Masaaki's is excellent, as are both of
the recordings conducted by Philippe Herreweghe. Butt (on Linn) is very
fine, too. As to Richter, if you get the one involving Fischer-Dieskau, his
final aria alone is worth the price of the set.
--
Cheers, Terry